This section provides tips and tools for computer maintenance, content production and communication and information sharing
(Links checked November 2015).
1. If you use a registered version of Windows, please regularly check 'Windows Updates'
2. Install Security software (firewall and Anti-virus). There are several free packages for non-commercial use:
5. Clear your Temp files regularly (1x week). They can take up much memory and make your system slow: Go to Start --) Accessories--) System tools--) Disk Cleanup
6. Defragment your Harddisk regularly (1x week) and Check errors on your harddisk (regularly (1x month): Start --)click right mouse--) Explorer--) C:drive--) click right mouse --) Properties--) Tools--) Defrag or Error checking
7. BACK-UP your data regularly!
2. Making PDFs: PDFCreator (www.pdfforge.org/products/pdfcreator) a effective tool to make PDFs from documents. Install and use as a printer (OSS)!
3. Small powerful PDF reader, fast alternative for Acrobat Reader: Foxit (www.foxitsoftware.com)
4. Website design (www.nvu.com) - user-friendly package (OSS)
5. Office tools: Open Office 4: (www.openoffice.org) free application for Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Database, Presentations (OSS)
6. Paint programme: (www.tuxpaint.org) PC-based drawing/painting (OSS)
7. 3-D Modelling: Google SketchUp: (http://sketchup.google.com) to create drawings for engineering
8. Audio recording and editing: Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net)
9. Media Player: VideoLan (VLC) - Open source, support a large number of media formats download here
10. Picture management and quality enhancement: Picasa (www.picasa.com)
11. Screen capture Faststone Capture (Latest free version)
12. FTP software to upload (large) files to a (web)server (freeware) FileZilla
If you have other tips, please let us know!
Disclaimer: This is a service to assist users in finding useful software. InfoBridge cannot be held liable for any consequences of using the tools.